When you attend a teaching interview remember it is a chance for you to find out whether the school and role are a good fit for you and not just the interviewer’s chance to ask you questions and find out whether you are a good match for them.
We assist new graduates and experienced teachers prepare and interview with English schools everyday. Interviews can happen face to face at our exclusive free IDAY event, over the phone or via skype but they are always an opportunity for both parties to question the other before making or accepting an offer of employment.
We have some suggestions especially for new teachers about what to ask at interview, to determine whether the position you are interviewing for is going to be the right job. This applies for jobs in your home country or any of the 1300+ schools we work with in England.
The Principal’s or Head teacher’s have asked you the questions, now…
- What support do you offer new starters at your school? What you want to know if whether there is a mentor program, assisting to transition into the school and their way of working and ongoing help when needed. A school that can let you know exactly how it supports new staff and can give examples of how it will assist you is a promising start!
- How would you describe the ethos of the school? This is where you can get a feel for the leadership style at the school and what the important goals for the students and staff. If this answer aligns to your beliefs and approach you may have a good match. You may be able to start this question with a comment about what you have gathered from their website, so you can also show you have done some research.
- What behaviour management approach is used at the school? You may also want to ask what is expected of the students in terms of their behaviour. The school may have little behavioural issues, or a very structured approach like the use of Positive Behaviour for Learning or a Strike policy. The answers will give you an idea of what to expect and the approach of management in support and managing behavioural issues.
- What will be expected of me other than my classroom teaching role? How will I be assessed? This shows that you are looking at your role in the wider school community and also you will find out what ways your performance will be assessed during your contract.
- What are you most proud of about your school? It is nice to hear a passionate leader talking about the school’s achievements and where they have excelled. The answers will give insight into many things- what is important to management and the things the students and staff have achieved.
So there are 5 questions that can help you decide whether the school and role are right for you. Other questions you may want to ask are: “What will be my biggest challenge at your school? ” or ” What opportunities will there be for me to progress in your school if I am successful?”
We all have different concerns and priorities when we are trying to select the right job. Your Engage Education Ireland consultant will be able to help you navigate the many school vacancies and opportunities you need to consider. Our iday events are a great way to put these questions to good use in face to face interviews! Contact Rachel in the Dublin office at Rachel.email@example.com or call 0864109883 for a chat about your options!